Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dubai, Muscat & Fujairah

















So much for a running blog! Here we are halfway through the trip and I'm finally getting an entry. The blizzards in the eastern United States really screwed us up. My 3 United flyers had their flights via Washington cancelled and missed the first day of our tour.
Friday morning we had a tour of modern Dubai and started with the new marina area. What was nothing but sand 5 years ago boasts a vast assortment of highrises, restaurants and shops around several miles of manmade lagoon. From there we drove out to the end of the Jumeirah Palm (80% complete) to the Atlantis Hotel for a walk-through. Of course the Ski Dubai complex in the Emirates Mall is a must-see as well.
In the afternoon we took off in SUV's for a desert safari. Up and down the dunes our drivers raced, even sliding down sideways at precarious angles. We ended up in a bedouin camp for typical Arabic dinner, where we could go on camel rides, try henna painting, and enjoy a belly dancing show before heading back to our 5-star Radisson Blu on Dubai Creek in the heart of the city.
Saturday morning started with a visit to the Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club, home of the Dubai Open tournament. We walked through the Dubai Museum, then took an abra (small, motorized, wooden fishing boat) across Dubai Creek to the spice market and the gold market. Both tend to be overwhelming for the senses. We'll have opportunity late to spend more time and money there! We ended at the ship and embarked the Costa Luminosa, a new ship which just came into service last June! Much nicer.
Monday we were in Muscat, Oman and had one of the best tour guides I’ve ever met, Badar, a native Omani. He gave us wonderful insight into his country, culture, religion, and family as we toured exotic sights. The mosque is exquisitely beautiful with one of the largest chandeliers (Svarowski Crystal) in the world, as well as the largest hand-made carpet in the world. We enjoyed time in the Muttrah Souk, or main market, shopping for frankincense, shawls/scarves, daggars, ornate boxes, and lots of other treasures. Fascinating place. We ended up out at the Al Bustan Palace Hotel for tea and Arabic sweets and were allowed to walk down to the beach and photograph the hotel and grounds. Some of us went back in to town after the tour to take advantage of the market – what a great place!
Tuesday was our leisure day, but 16 of us took taxis into town to the fish market, vegetable market, and Iranian market. Didn’t buy much but interesting to look. We went to a Lebanese Restaurant for lunch in a beautiful arabesque building and I ordered platters of various cold and hot appetizers for the group to share family style and that was our delicious lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Barbara Cook and John donaldsonMarch 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM

    Your photos are fantastic and your commentary fun to read---and not too lengthy. Abu Dhabi looks fabulous and the Grand Mosque over the top.We miss traveling with you
    Babs and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information from this blog and I have to tell you, your website giving the best and awesome information. And I would like to thanks for this information that I had been looking. Regards House Painters in Dubai

    ReplyDelete


  3. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete